A typical 10:15 service opens with the musical prelude as acolytes bring in the light of Christ by lighting the candles.
A liturgist leads the people in the call to worship,
a hymn is sung, and a prayer in unison.
Then, unless it's the first week of the month and
therefore Communion Sunday,
there is a children's story time.
It's what we call A Time with Young Disciples.
Second week: Terry & Aaron Hannon
Third week: Howard Detweiler
Fourth week: Casey Brewster
Fifth week: Pastor LaMont
The service then continues with further music, prayer, reading of scripture and a sermon from the pastor. Our adult choir sings 45 out of 52 Sundays a year.
Communion is the first Sunday of each month.
A "mission moment" is presented on the fourth Sunday of each month.
Special events are celebrated, as when Darlene McBride retired.
The service then concludes with a hymn and a musical postlude. Then it is time to take the light of Christ out into the world.
Our pastor delivers a short message each morning at 7:11 AM during Faith Break on Paoli's WUME 95.3 FM. Q-100 in French Lick, 100.1 FM, carries our pastor's messages occasionally but not on a regular schedule.
The Paoli United Methodist Church offers several special services throughout the church year, including:
- Lent and Easter:
- Six-week Lenten Study program with small groups meeting in homes
- Ash Wednesday Services
- Maundy Thursday Services
- Children and Youth Easter Egg Hunt, Saturday before Easter Sunday
- Chancel Choir Easter Cantata during the Easter morning worship service
- Vacation Bible Study during the summer, hosted in combination with three other Paoli churches
- Advent and Christmas:
- Christmas Eve Family Worship at 7 PM and Candlelight Vigil at 11 PM
- Children's Christmas musical
- Chancel Choir Christmas Cantata
- Community Thanksgiving Special
- Remembering our Veterans and Service Personnel
An archive of some previous sermon topics is available.