The Gospel of Matthew contains five key teaching sections by Jesus.
- Matthew 5:1-7:27 — The Sermon on the Mount — given to a large crowd.
- Matthew 9:35 to 10:42 — Instructions to the Twelve disciples chosen by Jesus.
- Matthew 13:1-52 — Parables of the kingdom — given on a crowded beach.
- Matthew 18:1-35 — Instructions on community — given to the disciples.
- Matthew 24:1-25:46 — The Olivet Discourse, also given to the disciples.
Before and after each of these teaching sections there follows action sections by Jesus and his followers as they carry out God's Word. The Gospel of Matthew ends with what is called the Great Commission — Teach them to observe all things that I have commanded you. It seems the Gospel of Matthew is making a statement about Discipleship. Discipleship involves not only truth believed but truth applied.